I know, we look like Brother and Sister...Whoa, where do I even begin? This was a crazy weekend but I will try to be brief.
I travelled for the first time by myself with the girls. I felt like I was prepared and we made it to the airplane without any issues. I had this! And then it happened, the plane took off.
Now Amyra has seriously been on a plane at least 16 times in her life and she has always been perfect. No crying, nothing. So I didn't think to bring something to calm her down because I've never had to...until today. As soon as the plane started to take off, she started to complain about the loud noise. She used to love it before but this time she was freaked out. Panicked, and she was not shy about letting the whole plane know. She ended up crying/screaming for about 20 minutes as the plane took off. People all around were giving me their Ipods, gum, etc. but nothing worked. She was scared and upset with me and she would calm down on her own terms. Luckily the stewardess brought cookies and she finally calmed down. It was 3:00pm (her usual nap time - why did I purchase a flight during her nap time - duh) and she fell asleep for the last 25 minutes of the plane ride.
Now it's time to get off the plane. Do I try to carry her while pushing a stroller and lugging around a diaper bag? No. Not possible. Well I should have done just that because as soon as I woke her up, the tantrum came on and in full force - kicking, screaming, hitting, everything. It was like a demon possessed my child and I ended up forcibly carrying a kicking/screaming child all the way through the airport and to the baggage claim. The crazy thing was that she wanted to get back ON the plane, after it had just scared her? It was awful and I was officially traumatized. The only thing that calmed her down was her daddy who met us in Las Vegas. That was how the weekend started.
Other highlights included Papa D (Lat's father) having the equivalent of open heart surgery except they didn't actually work on his heart and focused on removing a mass that was pressing into his lungs. He came out of it with flying colors! What would you expect from a man with "the heart of a baby". We were so happy we were able to be there for his surgery but sad that he was only able to spend a few hours with the girls as he was in the hospital for most of our visit. Next time Papa D. Next time.
We also attended Lat's 10 year high school reunion. One word to sum it up. BORING. Sorry Lateef. It cost us $160 and you better believe I tried my best to eat as many Wolf Gang Puck appetizers as I could but I definitely didn't reach the $160 mark. We both knew that the people Lateef actually hung out with in high school wouldn't be there but we also knew that he would regret not going. In the end I did hear that Lateef was actually decent in basketball. He has always claimed this but I think I'm a bad luck charm because whenever I see him play, he's no Michael Jordan. But it was confirmed he was indeed good so I will believe him now. I guess.
I saw my Sorors, old friends from the BLC, etc. and it was definitely a jam packed weekend. And the best part was that though I was SO scared about flying home with Amyra and a repeat incident, she was absolutely perfect on the flight home. We pep-talked and I told her to cover her ears when she was scared of the loud noise, I brought KitKats for her good behavior and we read Goodnight Moon. A perfect end to a crazy weekend.

1 comment:
Yay for updates! Oh, man! Do I ever relate to the airplane meltdown. When we flew out to HI last year, our youngest awoke from a nap all cranky and proceeded to scream for the next 45mins during the middle of the night while everyone was sleeping. It.was.AWESOME! Needless to say, we hung out in the bathroom until she calmed down and I promised myself to never ever ever ever EVER fly with a child on my lap again if the flight was longer than 90minutes. Big hugs to you, Mama!!!
And bummer for boring reunions. I wanted to go to mine a couple years back...but they had it at a flippin' bar! I was actually glad to hear it sucked. lol.
Post a Comment