Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thanksgiving - 11/25/10

Lateef and I have decided that future Thanksgivings will probably be spent travelling abroad. It's the best time for Lateef to take off work and I don't really like turkey that much. Anyway, knowing this, I decided to cook my first and probably last Thanksgiving dinner. We were so lucky to have Lateef's sister Femia, her hubby Cedric, and future baby Cefia join us in Reno for the occasion. Lat's folks were unable to make it because Papa D got sick and wasn't cleared to travel :( This was a bit scary as now I was responsible for the turkey. Eeek.

So cooking - that was interesting. I managed to mess up both items I was cooking from scratch. I ended up cutting one 6 inch slit in an oven bag I was planning to use for the turkey (instead of six 1 inch slits) and while making a sweet potato dish, I ended up with a sweet potato smoothie after trying to mash it in the blender. Though our $38 turkey (is it me or is that expensive for a 12 lb turkey) was only okay, the sweet potatoes ended up BOMB. That on top of the 5 additional dishes that were single handedly cooked by a six month pregnant Femia, and we ended up with quite a spread. It was a nice low key Thanksgiving spent with close family, and though I will miss that family time during Thanksgiving, I won't miss the turkey.

The whole gang (sans Lateef)

Ryan's plate of food

My beautiful boos in their matching dresses

Greens (Femia) and Stuffing (Costco)

Mashed pototoes (Costco) and Green Bean Casserole (Femia)

Salad (my mom), Sweet Potatoes (Femia and I) and Macaroni (my mom)

Turkey (me), Ham (Femia) and Salmon (my mom)

Me "cooking" in the kitchen

No comments: