When I found out that Amyra was going to have Mrs. Axley for her first grade teacher, I was happy. I had heard many good things about her and though she wasn't my first choice, I was still excited. I was bummed however that she wasn't going to be in first grade with Maria but I figured there was always recess. She was however going to be in class with a girl named Mia (another biracial girl who lives in the neighborhood and has brown skin and curly hair like Amyra). I had gotten to know Mia's mom Stef during gymnastics and had even planned for Mya to attend Stef's preschool so when I found out they would also be in the same 1st grade class, I was definitely happy.
Anyway, Amyra's transition into first grade was pretty flawless. The first few week she was a bit cranky after school and would lash out at her sister a lot, but once she got into the groove of school, that almost disappeared.
Her first half of the year went really well and was actually pretty uneventful. There were a lot of field trips and she is beginning to get the hang of reading. Her math and spelling assessments always come back with great scores, and I have to remember, she is at least 6 months younger than all the other kids in her class. I'm definitely very proud of her.
Amyra on the first day of school with Alex (a girl she had met the previous Friday during the class tour).
Alex, Amyra, Imani, and Mya
It was funny, because for almost a month or two, I would often ask who Amyra played with at recess, hoping the answer would be Mia. And finally, it started to happen. Slowly but surely, they began to hang out and they now call each other "best friend" and I'm just happy Amyra has someone at school that she not only gets along with, but can relate to being biracial too! This picture that Mia drew for Amyra is just so sweet.
Sidenote: Miss Sandra started the Fall by asking Amyra to start composing music too. This was a mermaid song Amyra came up with one afternoon.


1 comment:
Um... totally loving her use of "dorsal fin" "rare" and the fact that the dolphin is nocturnal!!!! Very clever and creative!!!
Post a Comment