Awwww, poor Mellie. Carmello was our first joint pet (Lateef and I) and we got him over the summer in 2004 soon after I moved to Vegas.
Now I'm not going to lie. Carmello wasn't my favorite dog. He just didn't have the Loyalty that one associates with dogs. I often joked that a murderer could potentially just give him a slab of meat and then Carmello would probably then allow the murdered to have his way with us.
That being said, he was a GREAT dog. He lived with my parents from 2007 to 2012 and then we took him back last summer. He stayed out of the way, and listened and just ate, drank and slept.
Unfortunately, his health took a turn for the worst and FAST towards the end of March. I noticed it looked like he was getting major cataracts and then within 1 week, he was blind. It happened so fast and when I looked up the symptoms we discovered his body was failing from being Diabetic :( We researched our options and deciding putting him down would be more humane than stringing his life along with daily shots.
Fortunately, right before we were going to take him to the vet for the procedure, I had this thought to call around for a service that would come to our home. SO GLAD I DID THIS! A vet came to our home on that Saturday, Melly got to be in in our family room surrounded by his family. He was never shaking from fear (as pets so often do when they go to the vet). The best was that the veterinarian confirmed our decision by informing us that so many dogs are fearful of shots and I was so happy we didn't subject him to that fear. He went peacefully and is now buried at Ryan's place. Oh Carmello, I hope you are eating a steak up in Heaven as I type up this post. You sweet dog.


1 comment:
Sweet lil' dog. I remember your Christmas card picture with him in the matching polo shirt.
Post a Comment